Wednesday, January 7

greener on the other side

Why is the saying that "the grass is greener on the other side" always seem to be true? How is it that we can never be satisfied and always be longing for something different? Ecclesiastes 1:8 says:
All things are wearisome
more than one can say
The eye never has enough of seeing
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
~TNIV

Our eyes are never satisfied, our ears keep taking in more and more stuff. We never rest pursuing things we think will make our lives better. Thus, all things are wearisome. This is not a good life.

I recently remembered something I heard once. Someone told me that, wherever I am, I need to be "all there." This is good stuff because I have almost always been longing for somewhere else or something else and have not been committed where I am at. It applies to work, but also my personal life. We need to just rest where we are at and not strive for things that will drive us crazy.

Now, I don't mean to say that there are not times when change is necessary. I still think change is good and sometimes change will revitalize your life. But this change should be decisive and not drag on for weeks, months and years. Yes, I am speaking mostly to myself about this because I am probably the one that needs to hear it most.

I need to take a deep breath and remind myself that I'm OK here. Change will come but I'm OK now.

No comments:

Old Thoughts